- Ruhr-Universität Bochum
The Materials Research Department stands for:
- Improving the representation of women, minorities and people with disabilities at all levels of the scientific community, including leading research positions.
- The percentage of female board members within the MRD Board was raised from 45.5% to 64% in the latest board elections in 2021.
- Acknowledgement of diverse gender identities and implementation of gender equality.
- Supporting young female academics in their careers.
- Sharpening diversity and inclusion competencies by raising awareness for career barriers women face in science through lectures by suitable speakers.
- Increasing the presence of the topic family.
- At MRD full-day meetings, on-site childcare and babysitting services are offered in cooperation with RUB’s family and childcare service ProKids.
- The joint seminar series of the Institute of Materials and ICAMS (see „Seminars and Events“ for respective seminar dates) was shifted to a more family-friendly time, from 4-5 p.m. to 12-1 p.m.
- A family room was established in the research building ZGH.
The faculties associated with the MRD each contribute to RUB’s equal opportunities strategy with their own approaches and measures. Every year, all these departments contribute to the Girl’s Day. The engineering faculties regularly organize the career coaching event CrossIng. An overview (in German) of all measures taken by RUB faculties can be found here.